Teens and tweens especially need help today to navigate the multiple challenges of family life, social life, and academic pressures. Talking about their feelings is something to be avoided. Often, they aren’t sure how they are feeling, let alone how to express their feelings.
How I connect with your teen/tween.
When a teen/tween walks through my door, I urge them to be themselves and let go of the pressures that may overwhelm them (conscious or not) in their day-to-day world. The first and most important step I take when I begin working with a teen/tween is trying to understand how to connect with them and what they may need out of our sessions.
Once we have a strong foundation of collaboration, trust, understanding, and support, I bring in psychodynamics, behavioral therapy, and mindfulness to help your teen/tween cope, express, communicate, relax, and simply breathe.
Your teen is not “cookie cutter,” and neither is my approach.
Beyond creating this non-judging space for them, I will help your teen/tween manage the complex demands of school, peer relationships, and day-to-day moral and ethical dilemmas. Your teen/tween will benefit by some time out away from friends and family.
In our therapeutic journey, I will:
- Help them sort out their thoughts and feelings
- Help root out impulsive changes or counterproductive habits
- Help identify negative thinking and behaviors
- Help consider what went wrong and what they can do differently next time
- Encourage self-reflection and foster self-awareness
- Teach the practice of mindfulness to reduce stress and anxiety, and help them disconnect from cyber worlds
- Provide a toolbox to self-regulate and manage challenges themselves over time
Reach out for a helping hand.
As parents, we feel like we have tried everything and just do not know what to say and do anymore. I personally and professionally understand that.
Asking for help does not mean that you are not a good enough parent or that you are giving up in any way. It means that you know it is time to turn to a skilled and compassionate professional such as myself for a helping hand.
Call me so we can initiate positive steps for your child!